In December, UK reports claimed that Liverpool were considering a January move for Real Madrid star Fabio Coentrao, and according to new reports this week, Los Blancos are desperate to get rid of the Portuguese defender.
On Tuesday, the Daily Express claimed that:
* Real Madrid have contacted LFC to offer the club the chance to sign £25m-rated Coentrao.
* Liverpool would ‘welcome’ the 26-year old full-back to Anfield.
Liverpool have been linked with Coentrao several times in the past:
* October 2010: Portuguese newspaper Jornal Record reports that Roy Hodgson is monitoring Coentrao, with a view to a possible January transfer.
* April 2011: The Daily Mail reports that Kenny Dalglish also wants the Portuguese international.
* May 2011: Portuguese newspaper Correio da Manha claims that Liverpool have agreed a fee of £25m for Coentrao.
* Apr 2014: The Mirror claimed that Liverpool held talks with Coentrao’s agent, Jorge Mendes, over a possible summer transfer.
DEC 2014: The Daily Express claimed that Coentrao would ‘jump at the chance’ to play for Liverpool.
In a recent, 26-year old Coentrao revealed his frustration over the treatment he’d received at Madrid. He told O Jogo:
“From the first day I do not think I was wanted here. Today it seems that everyone wants me to leave. We must find a solution so that no one will lose out. If I leave Real Madrid, I do not close the door to anyone”
Prior to his move to Real Madrid, Atletico Madrid star Silvio predicted that Coentrao would become the best left-back in the world. he enthused:
“He is a spectacular player. He is the best left-back in Portugal and he will surely be the best one in the world. He will wind up being considered the best player in his position for many years”
Has Coentrao lived up to that billing? When he plays (only two league starts this season), Coentrao is a solid player for Madrid, but he’s also received a lot of criticism for the quality of his performances, professionalism, and alleged disruptive influence, which includes the following:
* November 2011 – An hour late for training (repeat offender)
* January 2012 – Arrived out of shape after Christmas break. Dropped by Mourinho.
* March 2012 – Caught smoking. Fined and left out of the squad for Villarreal.
* July 2012 – Reputedly a ‘bad influence’ during Madrid’s summer tour of the USA.
* August 2012 – 4 games ban for calling the referee a ‘bastard’.
* January 2013 – Massively late for training again.
Coentrao sounds like a bit of a nightmare to manage, but his talent cannot be denied. He is reportedly desperate to leave Real Madrid, but with his injury history, the Reds should probably steer clear, especially for £25m, which is a ridiculous price.
Ultimately, with Moreno/Manquillo in the squad, and Brendan Rodgers currently favouring a formation where dedicated full-backs are less of a priority, is Coentrao even needed at Liverpool?