In November, multiple reports claimed that:
* Liverpool plan to make a £10m January offer for Redmond.
* LFC scouts have assessed Redmond’s suitability for a move to Anfield.
* Rodgers and his fabled transfer committee ‘believe’ that Redmond, 20, is capable of making a similar impact to Raheem Sterling.
Today, the Daily Mail reports that Liverpool are set to ‘reignite interest’ in Redmond, and Rodgers sees the 20-year old as an ideal replacement for Assaidi.
£10m for a 20-year old currently plying his trade in the Championship? If Redmond had prodigious creative stats then I could understand it, but there’s nothing remarkable about his goals/assists record:
* 2012-13: 2 goals/7 assists in 42 apps.
* 2013-14: 1 goal/6 assists in 39 apps.
* 2014-15: 2 goal/6 assists in 16 apps (so far)
* TOTALS: 5 goals/19 assists in 105 apps
* Goal every 21 apps.
* Goal/assist every 4.4 apps.
Is this worth £10m? Not for me. Redmond is probably an upgrade on Assaidi (which isn’t hard!), but he’s not really an improvement on any of the players already at Anfield.
I also don’t see the logic in spending £10m on yet another British young player when the Reds already have Ibe, Teixeira, and a whole host of others on the books.
In May, Redmond scored a hat-trick for the England U21 team, but after the game, manager Gareth Southgate admitted that consistently scoring goals remains a problem for the ‘devastating’ youngster. He told reporters:
“The one area of his game he [Redmond] is looking to add is goals, and I think we are able to give him the freedom to play in more advanced areas. Tonight, his finishing matched the rest of his game”.
In my view, FSG should institute an immediate moratorium on buying overpriced British players. Liverpool’s squad is stacked with Brits right now, and their inconsistent form is one of the main reasons the club is stuck in 8th place in the league table.
If Liverpool can get Redmond for around £5m, it’ll represent decent business, but anything more than that is too much (IMO). As much as many will be against it, bringing Ibe back from Derby makes more sense than spending £10m on Redmond.